Monday, January 13, 2014

The little bundle of joy that came into our life

2013 is a significant year in Derek and my life because of the little one that came into our life. Since we got married in 2009, my parents always asked me when we will have a little addition to our family. Since I started the part time MBA program at UCI, there was no way I can be working and doing part time  school, AND having a baby at the same time.  Since I am a "planner" and always want to have things in control, I told Derek at the end of 2012 that 2013 is the year for us to have a baby. Moreover, we should aim to be pregnant by March so we can have the little one arrive by the end of the year. My school will be done around early March so that is a perfect time to "be" pregnant. As fortunate as we are, we did get pregnant in Feb and I started the pregnancy right when I was done with classes!

My pregnancy was fairly smooth and the 2nd month was a bit rough since I was sleepy all the time. But soon into the 3rd month I was feeling a lot better and we visited Hawaii to attend my friend CF's wedding in Oahu when I was officially 12 weeks preg. That was right after our ultrasound at UCSD to rule out the possibility of Down's syndrome and it was a relief to know he is healthy and growing. In June I went back to Taiwan to see my parents and it wasn't too bad to be traveling on air as a 5-month old pregnant lady. In late Aug I want back again as Mom was getting more sick cuz of her chemo and radiation treatment. This time I was bigger but I wanted to be there for my mom. We threw a baby shower on 9/14 and were excited that he was coming in a few more weeks! My due date was 11/11/2013 and we even thought maybe he will have a birth date of "11/12/13"! Then we finished our birthing  classes and felt more prepared as parents.

On the weekend of 10/26 and 10/27, we did our weekend shopping at 99 Ranch market and even took a walk to Von's thinking that we have two more weeks to enjoy before baby comes. At the late night of 10/27, I was napping on our couch and I jumped out of the couch to rush to the toilet when I felt some warm liquid coming out. This is NOT happening! We still have two weeks don't we?! We waited for a few more hours before we went to the Scripps hospital and YES that was my amniotic fluid coming out! We checked in around 3 am on Monday morning and I started emailing my work and calling insurance and breast pump company to get everything  lined up. By 9 am though my contraction was still not regular so the doc recommended I get pitocin to induce the contraction. Once pitocin was put in,  my contraction slowly started and I asked for the IV analgesic as well as the epidural before the pain got more intense. The doc broke my water in the afternoon hoping the baby would descend faster. I went through a few more hours of sleeping in a certain position and then around 8 pm I was woken up by the nurse since I have enough dilation and the baby is pretty close to coming out! I was able to feel his "hairy head" before I started pushing and the pushing actually only took 30 min before the baby popped out! At 9:30 pm on 10/28/2013 Monday night, here came our little bundle of joy, Ethan Satoshi Yano 矢野智!

This blog is dedicated to documenting his life from coming to this world and into Derek and my life. Even though I never think (and I am still not) I will be a very motherly mom, I do love this little guy and staring at him for minutes (haha maybe not hours) is fun!

I will try to document his growing details every week. As today is already 1/12/2014, we will start with Week 12 of his life!

Welcome to the world and we love having you in our life.
寶寶,弟弟,阿弟仔,胖胖,小豬豬,死胖子 You are Mommy and Daddy's little bundle of joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment